Thursday, August 8, 2013

Everything Is Beautiful (In It's Own Way)

What a world we live in, there is beauty all around us.  God is an exquisite creator.  Look at the delightful colors and patterns in all of nature.  The striking black and white stripes of a zebra, the gorgeous blue and green feathers of a peacock, the unique markings of a calico cat, or the magnificent towering giraffe. Consider also the delicate white snowflake, the brilliant turquoise waters of the Caribbean sea, the vibrant green forest, and the bright twinkling stars in the night sky.


There are also numerous things that might not be considered beautiful at first glance, but if you look closer you may see something interesting or wonderful.  Observe the enchantment of and old weathered farm house or barn, the charm of a rugged brick road, the awe inspiring intensity of a twisting tornado, or the fascination of an intricately spun spider's web.


Of course it is true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  A chef might find a big steaming pot of jambalaya to be beautiful.  A scientist marvels at the beauty of cells and bacteria viewed through a microscope.  There are folks who find tattoos to be beautiful, sometimes the more body inked the more beautiful.

Me?  I see beauty in all sorts of things.  For instance I love old beat up mismatched cars and trucks.  What you might refer to as a bucket of bolts, a clunker, a hoopty, an ol' jalopy, or a POS.  The finish lacks luster, rust is everywhere and maybe the hood, back fender and door are all different colors.  I am intrigued by the sort of whimsical charm and curiousness they possess.  What is their story?  What situations have they endured? What fate has carried them to this extent?  Maybe the appeal is that I can relate somehow.  Events and struggles in life may have dulled a bit of my shine and some of my skills have become a little rusty.  I do not have the body I would like to have, and through the miles I have lost some speed.  But I would like to think that I still have some appeal and value.  I'll keep rolling along with determination and reliance on the "Great Mechanic."




No comments:

Post a Comment